Friday 19 July 2013

The drugs don't work, they just make you worse. How to really fix your broken mind

DID you watch that programme on BBC 3 the other night entitled 'Diary of a Broken Mind'? It was the story of 25 young people with mental health problems - anything from Bipolar to Agoraphobia - recorded as a video diary.

The one thing that really stood out for me was the over-reliance these people have on medication. It appeared that was the only treatment they were receiving. It had got so bad for most of them that they were unable to come off the medication as they felt they could not cope without it. A vicious circle.

Speaking from personal experience of mental health issues, I know this is common practise. My first day in treatment was spent filling out forms to access my mental state before the medication process could begin.

That day I encountered many young people who were so drugged up they could not even tell me what they were in for. Some did not even know their own name. There was one woman of Afro-Caribbean descent, probably no more than 22, who spent most of the day walking around in circles with a tea towel on her head shouting random things to herself, completely oblivious to anything else around her.

'Don't mind her,' they told me, 'She'll be okay once she has had her medication.'

That evening as they were settling me into my room they came round with the pills.

'Take two of these tonight and we'll give you another two in the morning,' I was told.

I asked what they were but all I was told was that 'they will make you feel better.' I told them I was not depressed (I wasn't) and that pills would be of no use to me but they said it was essential before I could start my therapy programme.

After what I had witnessed that day, I decided I did not want to take the pills but I was told that the only other option was for me to discharge myself. And I could not do that quickly enough. Looking back, it was the best decision I ever made. That was in 1986.

After watching BBC 3 the other night, it appears that very little has changed in the treatment of mental health issues over the subsequent 27 years. The only difference now is that young people feel able to talk about their problems.

When I was their age the last thing I would have wanted to do was go on national television telling millions of people about my mental health issues. In fact you may have noticed that I have not mentioned what those mental issues are even now.

But I do not believe this openness has helped them. Quite the opposite in fact. I was so worried about anyone finding out about my problems that I did all I could to hide them. On the outside I appeared normal. Well when I say normal...

Anyway, I would have been mortified if anyone had found out. Not even my parents knew. But this actually proved to be a great help to me. The more I had to disguise my behaviour, the easier it was to cope with my problems when I was alone. If I could go about my normal everyday tasks without anyone knowing then surely nothing could stop me leading a relatively normal life?

I have no doubt that my friends thought I was a little strange at times (only at times you say!!). As much as I tried to disguise it, there must have been times when it came to the surface. But if ever anyone looked at me as though I was mad and asked if I was okay, I just adopted the default response. 'Yeah, I'm fine.'

But all this new-found openness has given the sufferers some kind of acceptance. They do not need to change as everyone knows what is wrong them and make allowances for their odd behaviour. One of the biggest motivations I had to try and tackle my demons was the fear that someone would find out. Take away that motivation and I know I would have had much more difficulty dealing with my problems.

Not that I am cured. Far from it. I do not believe you are ever really cured of mental health problems, you just learn to cope with them. And despite never taking any medication, and only having 2 sessions of therapy in my life, I believe I have coped pretty well. I have led a reasonably 'normal' life (whatever that actually means) and although I have dark days, I know how to deal with them. I know the restrictions it has had on my life and I make the necessary adjustments. I have to, otherwise people will find out.

There was a time when it would stop me doing the things I enjoyed. I stopped playing football, I stopped going to watch my beloved Arsenal. For a while I became a virtual hermit. But you cannot live like that forever, not unless you want people to know you have a problem anyway.

I started to miss the things I enjoyed and decided enough was enough. Sometimes it is hard but I know what I need to do and I do it. I have refused to let it beat me.

But the young people on that programme have all but given up. They have accepted their fete. So much so that when asked if they could make their problems disappear would they, most said no. They are happy to stick with it as has given them an excuse not to get on with their life. I would get rid of mine at a heartbeat.

One guy, a former model, had turned to drink as his way of coping. Cooped up in his flat with a few cans of lager. Not tackling his issues, just accepting them. And he was not alone. As soon as your friends and family know, you have less reason to change. You can justify it.

In many aspects of our life openness is great. But when it comes to mental health issues it is not. The only people who should know about your problems are your therapist (if you have one) and the guys in group therapy sessions. The more time you spend pretending you don't have a problem the less serious the problem becomes.

Trust me, I know.

2 comments:

  1. Such an out dated view on mental health, just bottle it up and it will all go away!! The people who really suffer do this untik it all boils over wether thats suicide or breakdown. Openness helps and should be encouraged to help people talk about there problems and letting them realise its a problem and not just suffer in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm but as soon as they open up they are put on drugs and it is that dependence that leads to suicide and breakdown.

    I am not saying bottle it all up, I did mention a therapist and group therapy, but do not tell everyone around you. Once your behaviour is justified to those close to you, you give up the will to change.

    ReplyDelete